Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Re: BLUG Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 02:18:00AM +0000, Mark Krenz wrote:
> That's great! Can you talk to my dad. ;-) Ironically, he never
> trusts me when it comes to computers. Probably some of you have the
> same problem, but still have to do "tech support".

I tend to be rather brutal about it.

Of course, my wife and I are each from a larger family. (We each have
four siblings.) This means that just for "immediate family" issues there
is quite a slew of people.

I go so far as, "By 'help', do you mean install Linux or help you with a
Linux question? I can't help with Windows, however I'd be happy to solve
your problem by installing Linux for you." I get very few requests for
help at this point.

I did get a neice using Kubuntu. I installed Ubuntu at the time, and
sort of pointed her at the package manager. She's turned in to quite
the fan. She's independantly installed Linux on two subsequent laptops,
and has advocated that some of her friends use it. (I'm not sure how
successful she's been at getting them to migrate. Since they're kids,
even when they want to try it, they need to get approval from their
parents if they want to install it permanently. -- Hopefully Wubi has
helped there, though.)

My wife mostly likes Linux. Though when I set up her system I was still
using GNOME, and I think she'll like it better when she moves to KDE and
she won't be accidentally moving her taskbars around the screen all the
time. (The only reason I didn't do this already is due to the radical
changes happening in the KDE world. I figured I'd migrate her when it
has settled out.)

Here's a fun fact: There's no way to lock the taskbars in GNOME.
(At least none in the GUI.) This means it is always subject to
click-and-drag moving them around the screen. I don't know why my wife
has the problem but she has quite a problem.

My father may not use Linux, but at least he's using Mac OS X. Since
he's the person who bought me my first Linux book+distro, and he never
asks for help (though he is known to throw paying work my way) I don't
feel obligated to lecture him about it. ;)

Cheers,

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

No comments: