Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] still photos in a video project

And now of the minimal solution at the command line. Install ffmpeg <http://ffmpeg.org/> if it is not installed.
In the directory where imageXXX.jpeg  are located:
ffmpeg -i image%03d.jpeg  out.mpeg

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org> wrote:

 It may seem like overkill for what I think you are trying to do, but
you can use Blender to do video editing, including adding pictures frame
by frame. To do what I think you want, which is to show a still picture
for a few seconds, you can create multiple copies of the image and then
include them into the video sequence editor(VSE) in Blender. You might also
lower the frames per second.  As an example, here is a video I just made
using Blender and a bunch of still images.  They are from the webcam
which you can see at http://webcam.suso.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSo94da_Y2I

 All I did was take all the still images, go into the VSE and press
Add -> Images and then use the right mouse button to select all the
images I want to include in a set. When you say select images, it will
then show you a bar in the VSE that you can place over a certain frame
range.  When you are ready to "render" your video, just go over to the
Scene menu (press F10), select "Do Sequence", choose "Avi Jpeg" for the
output format under the format box and then click on ANIM.

 Blender may seem a bit hard at first and its more geared towards 3d
modeling and animation. But I think it works well as a video editor once
you learn the basics.

 I found this thread on blenderartists.org that is someone trying to do
the same thing, you might check it out for more hints and a tutorial:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145312

There are probably other tutorials on how to do this in Blender.  You
could even put your images on planes in 3d space and have them float
towards the camera.  I tried that with a video on a cube once.  Make
sure you set the object as a light source though so it glows.

Mark

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:07:51PM GMT, Matthew Patenaude [mnglfiddle@gmail.com] said the following:
> Hey guys!
>
> I made a DVD a while back on a friend's mac, using iMovie. It was easy to
> use, and I took a whole stock of photos and stuck them together, mostly
> using Ken Burn effects to give it a video like feel. I would like to do this
> in Linux (not only because I can't afford to buy a Mac). I have figured out
> Kino and used it with some video footage from my DV Camera. Works great, but
> lacks some of the features I would like. For example, can't use still
> photos, or at least I can't figure out how to get them into the program.
>
> Neither can PiTiVi, or Open Movie editor...
>
> Anybody know if Cinerella does what I am looking for? I also want multiple
> sound track options at least (which I notice several of the already
> mentioned will do, most notably, Cineralla). Cineralla looks like a good
> program; I just installed it. It does look like a steep learning curve, and
> looks very capable, but I don't see anything that suggests it can
> incorporate stills and do Ken Burns. Anyone know for sure?
>
> Maybe there is another way to do what I am looking for, and just haven't
> noticed or come across it yet...
>
> Thanks,
> Matthew

> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug


--
Mark Krenz
Bloomington Linux Users Group
http://www.bloomingtonlinux.org/
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: