Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Multitracking

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 16:16 -0500, Simón Ruiz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Paul Purdom <pwp@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> > Let me urge some one to give a beginning presentation on using GIMP. I have
> > read enough to know that GIMP is a good idea, but it also has a really big
> > manual. I have the feeling that I would use it a lot if someone got me
> > starting on using it, but I have never had the time to devote to starting to
> > use it.
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate someone who uses GIMP talking about how to do the
> > normal simple ordinary things in GIMP. If they cannot resist talking about
> > some of the more complex things, they could have a little of that also, but
> > for that, it would probably be best to just tell us where to look in the
> > manual.
> >
> > I have been learning new things about computers for almost five decades, and
> > I always find getting started much harder than getting better. It seems that
> > the best way to get started on something is to talk with someone who already
> > knows. Once you have the basic knowledge, you can learn the rest from
> > manuals if necessary.
>
> Paul,
>
> Good point re:it being harder to get started than to get better.
> That's the "learning curve" you always hear people talk about, and
> it's kept me from starting on more than one occasion.
>
> I'm personally living up in the Fort Wayne area nowadays, so getting
> down to Bloomington on a weekday is not usually going to be in the
> realm of possibility for me. Anyone else (in the B-town area) have a
> handle on the very basics of the GIMP to share?
>
> Simón
>
> P.S. Pretty good idea announcing what you'd like to see a presentation
> on on the list; much greater chance of it actually happening than the
> alternative. ;-)
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
I have a book -- a couple of years old now -- called "Groking the GIMP"
that was very good. Don't know if there is a recent edition.


Jim


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: