Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Multitracking

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Paul Purdom <pwp@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> Let me urge some one to give a beginning presentation on using GIMP. I have
> read enough to know that GIMP is a good idea, but it also has a really big
> manual. I have the feeling that I would use it a lot if someone got me
> starting on using it, but I have never had the time to devote to starting to
> use it.
>
> I would greatly appreciate someone who uses GIMP talking about how to do the
> normal simple ordinary things in GIMP. If they cannot resist talking about
> some of the more complex things, they could have a little of that also, but
> for that, it would probably be best to just tell us where to look in the
> manual.
>
> I have been learning new things about computers for almost five decades, and
> I always find getting started much harder than getting better. It seems that
> the best way to get started on something is to talk with someone who already
> knows. Once you have the basic knowledge, you can learn the rest from
> manuals if necessary.

Paul,

Good point re:it being harder to get started than to get better.
That's the "learning curve" you always hear people talk about, and
it's kept me from starting on more than one occasion.

I'm personally living up in the Fort Wayne area nowadays, so getting
down to Bloomington on a weekday is not usually going to be in the
realm of possibility for me. Anyone else (in the B-town area) have a
handle on the very basics of the GIMP to share?

Simón

P.S. Pretty good idea announcing what you'd like to see a presentation
on on the list; much greater chance of it actually happening than the
alternative. ;-)

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: