Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Multitracking

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 4:36:17 pm Pawsitive Results wrote:
> I'm at the point where, if I need to do something basic with an image, I'm
> equally comfortable just doing it on whatever computer I'm on at the time
> the need for the task rears its head. If I'm on a Linux computer, I'll use
> GIMP; if I'm on the Mac, I'll use Photoshop, I don't , really, have to even
> think too much--so I gess that means I've got "the basics" down.
>
> And, if we're moving to Thursdays, I can maybe make it to meetings again!
>
> Ana
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Simón Ruiz <simon.a.ruiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Paul Purdom <pwp@cs.indiana.edu> wrote:
> > > Let me urge some one to give a beginning presentation on using GIMP. I
> >
> > have
> >
> > > read enough to know that GIMP is a good idea, but it also has a really
> >
> > big
> >
> > > manual. I have the feeling that I would use it a lot if someone got me
> > > starting on using it, but I have never had the time to devote to
> > > starting
> >
> > to
> >
> > > use it.
> > >
> > > I would greatly appreciate someone who uses GIMP talking about how to
> > > do
> >
> > the
> >
> > > normal simple ordinary things in GIMP. If they cannot resist talking
> >
> > about
> >
> > > some of the more complex things, they could have a little of that also,
> >
> > but
> >
> > > for that, it would probably be best to just tell us where to look in
> > > the manual.
> > >
> > > I have been learning new things about computers for almost five
> > > decades,
> >
> > and
> >
> > > I always find getting started much harder than getting better. It seems
> >
> > that
> >
> > > the best way to get started on something is to talk with someone who
> >
> > already
> >
> > > knows. Once you have the basic knowledge, you can learn the rest from
> > > manuals if necessary.
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > Good point re:it being harder to get started than to get better.
> > That's the "learning curve" you always hear people talk about, and
> > it's kept me from starting on more than one occasion.
> >
> > I'm personally living up in the Fort Wayne area nowadays, so getting
> > down to Bloomington on a weekday is not usually going to be in the
> > realm of possibility for me. Anyone else (in the B-town area) have a
> > handle on the very basics of the GIMP to share?
> >
> > Simón
> >simil
> > P.S. Pretty good idea announcing what you'd like to see a presentation
> > on on the list; much greater chance of it actually happening than the
> > alternative. ;-)
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > BLUG mailing list
> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

For a replacement for photoshop I would like to point out GimpShop. A
modified version of gimp to give it a similiar look and feel of photoshop.

Cheers
Lord Drachenblut

No comments: