Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Re: [BLUG] Multitracking

Simón Ruiz wrote:
> I know that when I first started playing with Ubuntu, I was a pretty
> big fan of Photoshop.
>
> Opening up GIMP and looking at its interface was baffling to me. Even
> simple tasks took me a while to perform, so at first I just switched
> to Windows to use Photoshop. The more I got into Ubuntu, the less I
> felt like going into Windows, so I one day I decided I would stop
> using Photoshop and just use the GIMP so that I could get to the point
> where the GIMP's interface was familiar.
>
> After a while of playing with it and getting to know it, that's
> happened; I love the GIMP now, and I don't miss Photoshop one bit.
>
> I don't know anything about Ardour, so I can't help with that; I just
> thought maybe this little story might hold some encouragement for
> those about to embark on the journey of learning a new tool. :-)
>
> Simón
>
Let me urge some one to give a beginning presentation on using GIMP. I
have read enough to know that GIMP is a good idea, but it also has a
really big manual. I have the feeling that I would use it a lot if
someone got me starting on using it, but I have never had the time to
devote to starting to use it.

I would greatly appreciate someone who uses GIMP talking about how to do
the normal simple ordinary things in GIMP. If they cannot resist talking
about some of the more complex things, they could have a little of that
also, but for that, it would probably be best to just tell us where to
look in the manual.

I have been learning new things about computers for almost five decades,
and I always find getting started much harder than getting better. It
seems that the best way to get started on something is to talk with
someone who already knows. Once you have the basic knowledge, you can
learn the rest from manuals if necessary.

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: