Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Alternative focus

Quoting Mark Krenz <mark@slugbug.org>:

> I thought Chad was talking about "No raise window on mouse focus" at
> first, but then he mentioned that he wants to be able to paste into a
> window using middle mouse button or whatever without raising the window.
> Is that right Chad? I'm not sure what setting that would be. FVWM no
> doubt would let you do something like that, but I've never seen it on
> Gnome. Of all things, I think twm lets you do that too.

Yeah that's right Mark. I was talking about the sort of thing that Ben
mentioned, where you can type into or paste into or click on a button
in a window that's below another window, without the window that you're
clicking on raising to the top. To get this to work in FVMW you can use
the command :
Style * SloppyFocus, MouseFocusClickRaisesOff

So you're right Steven, the focus following the mouse is called
SloppyFocus in FVWM. Then what I'm talking about has the added
MouseFocusClickRaisesOff feature.

It might sound pointless if you've never used it, but now that I've
been using it for a while I've gotten used to it. Ben mentioned that
he likes to watch some video and let it stay above the window that he's
working in. Today I was listening to some audio in a small window and
was periodically rewinding and pausing the audio while I took notes in
the window below. Also sometimes I like to copy from one window on top
and paste into the one below without switching back and forth using
alt-tab. In fact sometimes I have three layers of windows, one on top
of the other, and they all stay put. I guess it would also be possible
to just resize the windows so that they don't overlap, but like you say
Mark sometimes we get used to some particular way of doing something,
and then we can get picky if we can't find it somewhere else.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all the replies. I didn't know if I'd even
get one :) If people on this list haven't come across it in the big
desktop managers, then I'm satisfied that it probably doesn't exist or
is at least extremely well hidden. Not that something like this is
actually a reason to not use KDE or GNOME since there are clearly other
features that exist beyond MouseFocusClickRaisesOff :D


_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: