Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What have you done with Linux lately?

Sidarth Dasari wrote:
>
> I was wondering about Mint myself actually. Has anyone used it and found
> it to be noticeably better/bad/different than ubuntu?

Mint is a fine distro, especially for newbies. I call it Ubuntu with
spit and polish. It has most of the proprietary media stuff included
that Ubuntu requires the user to pull in after install. I personally use
neither, but recommend it (along with MEPIS and PCLinuxOS) to Windows
users willing to look at alternatives.

And if I may make a plug for my favorite, I'd encourage anyone to take a
look at SimplyMEPIS. Debian Lenny based, KDE 3.5, custom tools for
various configuration tasks, all put together with some of the best "fit
& finish" I've ever seen in a desktop distro. Also has excellent
hardware compatibility out of the out-of-the-box, and is flat out quick
compared to the *buntus, including the Xfce version.

--
Mark Warner
MEPIS Linux
Registered Linux User #415318

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: