Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What have you done with Linux lately?

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Gillis, Chad <rcgillis@indiana.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Barry Schatz <sorbetninja@gmail.com>:
>>
>> My current adventure is upgrading my tower (desktop) to Kde 4.2.
>> -Barry
>
> I think this question is a ways out in left field, but we're on the topic of
> desktops, and this is something I've been wondering.
>
> Does anyone have settings in their window manager/desktop so that it doesn't
> raise a window when the window gets focus?  In other words, whichever
> window's on the top stays on top even if you go and click on another window
> or start typing in another window.
>
> I have that set up in my window manager right now and have kind of gotten
> used to it.  The window manager I'm using right now is fvwm.  I originally
> thought it would be fun to learn and customize for the heck of it but I do
> it rarely enough that in the gaps between doing it I forget what I've learnt
> so I haven't gotten very far. I'm thinking of trying out one of the big
> desktops, but was wondering about this doesn't-raise-on-focus feature.

Kind of.

I have mine set up to switch focus when the mouse moves over a new
window, and when it switches focus *that* way, the newly focused
window is not raised. It still raises windows when focused if I
*click* on them. (it takes a while to get used to this, but it lets me
do a lot of multi-window stuff more comfortably).

On GNOME, that's under System -> Preferences -> Windows.

Simón

P.S. My latest project has been writing some rocket-launcher array
controlling software in Python that uses pyrocket as its backend.

(Think cheap, kinda crappy Dream Cheeky rocket launchers, of the ilk
woot was selling recently; they've been discontinued from thinkgeek,
but they were the original rocket launcher you could find there. We've
got 11 launchers altogether between 4 of us.)

A couple of FWLUG members (including my boss) got a SOAP server
infrastructure set up so that an arbitrary number of rocket launchers
plugged into an arbitrary number of networked computers can be
controlled from one central place. I personally have been working on
leveraging that infrastructure and, by describing the rocket launchers
spatially and doing some simple trig, be able to have arbitrarily
large arrays of launchers aim semi-intelligently in unison.

Imagine a half-dozen USB rocket launchers (arbitrary formation; it
could be a line of them, a cluster of them, even individual ones
scattered around the room) all moving to aim at the same spot in the
room in unison. Now imagine an unsuspecting cat lying there. Then, for
effect, imagine that cat jumping about 3 feet straight up. ;-)

Next, we're going to work on a GUI; probably with Python's turtle
graphics library partly because it's ideally set up for the types of
things we want to do and partly because I'll need to wrap my head
around that library to be able to teach with it next year.

Simón

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: