Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What have you done with Linux lately?

Gillis, Chad wrote:
> Quoting Barry Schatz <sorbetninja@gmail.com>:
>> My current adventure is upgrading my tower (desktop) to Kde 4.2.
>> -Barry
>
> I think this question is a ways out in left field, but we're on the
> topic of desktops, and this is something I've been wondering.
>
> Does anyone have settings in their window manager/desktop so that it
> doesn't raise a window when the window gets focus? In other words,
> whichever window's on the top stays on top even if you go and click on
> another window or start typing in another window.
>
> I have that set up in my window manager right now and have kind of
> gotten used to it. The window manager I'm using right now is fvwm. I
> originally thought it would be fun to learn and customize for the heck
> of it but I do it rarely enough that in the gaps between doing it I
> forget what I've learnt so I haven't gotten very far. I'm thinking of
> trying out one of the big desktops, but was wondering about this
> doesn't-raise-on-focus feature.
>
Officially, it's called "Focus stealing prevention" and it's an option
in most major window managers. I couldn't tell you where to find it, but
it should be there. Well, I can find it in Kde, but only because that's
what I use. I'd be happy to help you get set up on one of the heavy
desktop environments if you like.

-Barry
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: