Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What have you done with Linux lately?

Have you installed Linux on the Asus Eee PC? I just bought one for yet another project at work, and I was wondering if the thing would run Linux.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@beartooth.info> wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Barry Schatz wrote:

Well, I know we have members. (174 officially on the list and most
replied to my spam)

We need discussions! What have you done with Linux or other free software lately? Any reinstalls? Who switched distros in the last six months and why? Was it worth it? Even if you only have time for a couple sentences, we all can benefit from your experiences.

       Wine has recently become able to install, launch, and run certain proprietary topo map software; Garmin MapSource and Maptech Appalachian Trail, but not Delorme nor Topo.com. Most recently, at long, long last, it finally managed also to get both to talk to a GPS.

       Sometimes, that is. It does it under Fedora 10 on my desktop; but I have yet to get it to under Fedora 11 Preview on my laptop.

       I made the mistake of buying one of the first of the ASUS EeePC machines -- which has long since proven too small for my eyes and fingers. I'll upgrade to a somewhat larger machine when I can afford it; meanwhile, I fiddle occasionally with installing one distro or another, trying to get one that not only runs well, but boots quickly enough to be worth using in waiting rooms, the only place the machine itself seems to have any promise for me.

       There an amazing number of minimalist distros out there, some designed specifically for the EeePC and its ilk, some cultivating minimalism for its own sake -- such as Puppy and Mint, for instance. There are Parsix and DreamLinux and EasyPeasy, Moblin and TinyCore -- and versions of Fedora and Ubuntu ....

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --
supposing you care -- but you can tell who has a mind.

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: