Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Re: [BLUG] What have you done with Linux lately?

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 05:37:31PM -0500, Sidarth Dasari wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@beartooth.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2009, Barry Schatz wrote:
> We need discussions! What have you done with Linux or other free
> software lately? Any reinstalls? [...]
>
> There an amazing number of minimalist distros out there, some
> designed specifically for the EeePC and its ilk, some cultivating
> minimalism for its own sake -- such as Puppy and Mint, for instance. There
> are Parsix and DreamLinux and EasyPeasy, Moblin and TinyCore -- and
> versions of Fedora and Ubuntu ....

> I was wondering about Mint myself actually. Has anyone used it and found it to
> be noticeably better/bad/different than ubuntu?

After reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint I have to say
I don't quite understand it.

It seems to be more like a community-based rebranding of Ubuntu (on par
with Kubuntu, or Xubuntu, or Gobuntu), except with some private tools
(which you'd expect with a community release that hasn't gotten folded
in to the official repository yet) than a real distribution.

The goal of being elegant and easy to use is hitting a road-block in my
head which reads "I thought Ubuntu was elegant and easy to use. This
seems like it is only adding maintenance complexity."

> (I hope gmail is formatting this right for bottom posting)

It turned it in to HTML. You should be able to tell it to only do HTML
when replying to HTML email.

I've mutt configured to automatically turn HTML email back to plain text
for presentation. I don't abide with HTML email. HTML email doesn't work
for the visually impaired. I'll be able to use Mutt even if I go blind
and need a Braille TTY.

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

No comments: