Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Apt-get vs Aptitude

I'm foggy on the details too, but from one experience I had once,
aptitude might keep track of dependencies better. Once I had something
on my laptop that wouldn't run properly (sorry I can't remember what),
after I'd installed a bunch of packages with apt-get, and according to
apt-get everything was up to date and there was nothing more to
install. Doing an upgrade with aptitude on the other hand ended up
causing a bunch of other packages to get installed and after this there
was no more problem.

Chad


Quoting Sidarth Dasari <Sidster802@gmail.com>:

> Ok im sorry if this has been asked repeatedly in the past, but I just
> wanted to get a simple explanation of the differences between these
> two package managers. Ive done done some googling myself and I've come
> across two basic answers. One is that they are just about the same and
> it doesn't matter which one to use. The other answer was that aptitude
> does a better job removing packages.
> Are there any other differences between these two? And if Aptitude is
> better at removing packages why don't more people use it?
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: