Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Apt-get vs Aptitude

Quoting "Gillis, Chad" <rcgillis@indiana.edu>:

>
> I'm foggy on the details too, but from one experience I had once,
> aptitude might keep track of dependencies better. Once I had
> something on my laptop that wouldn't run properly (sorry I can't
> remember what), after I'd installed a bunch of packages with apt-get,
> and according to apt-get everything was up to date and there was
> nothing more to install. Doing an upgrade with aptitude on the other
> hand ended up causing a bunch of other packages to get installed and
> after this there was no more problem.
>

Then again, one instance isn't enough to say that one is better than
the other, but I was convinced from this that they at least handle
dependencies differently. This was probably about a year ago.

> Chad
>
>
> Quoting Sidarth Dasari <Sidster802@gmail.com>:
>
>> Ok im sorry if this has been asked repeatedly in the past, but I just
>> wanted to get a simple explanation of the differences between these
>> two package managers. Ive done done some googling myself and I've come
>> across two basic answers. One is that they are just about the same and
>> it doesn't matter which one to use. The other answer was that aptitude
>> does a better job removing packages.
>> Are there any other differences between these two? And if Aptitude is
>> better at removing packages why don't more people use it?
>> _______________________________________________
>> BLUG mailing list
>> BLUG@linuxfan.com
>> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> BLUG mailing list
> BLUG@linuxfan.com
> http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: