Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Openfiler and Zumastore

Actually what I am hoping to play around with the most on this is iSCSI, which, from what I can see, is often the differentiator between whether or not a project such as Openfiler calls itself SAN or NAS (checkout FreeNAS for a comparison). I have used FreeNAS, and it was pretty cool, but the iSCSI implementation was buggy. Unfortunately my wife burned that box up, so I lost it all. *sigh*

--Kirk

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Barry Schatz <sorbetninja@gmail.com> wrote:
Lord Drachenblut wrote:
> On Friday 05 June 2009 1:27:43 pm Barry Schatz wrote:
> > I set up a SAN at home using my trusty NSLU2 and Debian. I primarily use
> > it to run rtorrent, but it serves samba and nfs admirably for running on
> > a 133MHz (266 after overclock mod) ARM chip. I also have a tiny Dell box
> > doing similar things with samba, nfs and sshfs. The few backups I take
> > are handled by a cronjob of rsync.
> >
> > -Barry
> >
> > Kirk Gleason wrote:
> > > Has anyone ever had any experience with http://openfiler.com/. I am
> > > thinking about trying to build up a small SAN at home using this just
> > > to play around with, and wondered if I would be wasting my time. If it
> > > works out, I might be looking into Zumastore
> > > (http://www.zumastor.org/) for some replication functionality. Anyone
> > > have any experience with that?
> > >
> > > Of course, if anyone know of any alternatives, I'm open to
> > > suggestions. This is a project that doesn't have much definition yet;
> > > just looking to play with some stuff at home.
> > >
> > > --Kirk
> > >
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > BLUG mailing list
> > > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> > > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > BLUG mailing list
> > BLUG@linuxfan.com
> > http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug
>
>
> I want to ask the question if you mean a san, storage area network, or
> nas, network attached storage? I know there is some differences
> between the two and wanted to clearify which your talking about?
>
>

Good catch. I confused the terms. I was talking about NAS, and Kirk is
talking about SAN. Sorry about that! :)

However, with NFS on a reasonable local network the two are pretty
similar to the user.

-Barry

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug



--
Kirk Gleason

No comments: