Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Apt-get vs Aptitude

On Friday 05 June 2009 18:16:38 Steven Black wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 05:32:10PM -0400, Kirk Gleason wrote:
> > I installed Fink on OS X before it had any apt-ability. dselect was it,
> > and it was not fun (almost made me wish for RPM).
>
> You're not the only person who didn't enjoy dselect. I was comfortable
> with it, personally. In fact, only recently (~2-3 years) did I stop
> using it.
>
> It took me a little while to get used to aptitude. Once I got used
> to it, I found I like it much, much better. I've spent a lot of time
> dependancy surfing, whether it is to try another tool using a common
> library, or it is to remove everything that uses a GNOME library... I,
> perhaps perversely, find it a lot of fun.

I never liked dselect. I switched to aptitude shortly after I started using
Linux (around 2004, Debian Sarge was about to release). dselect kept doing
unintuitive things like making changes after I quit and restarted the program
that I thought I had cancelled the first time. aptitude's interface was so much
nicer. Of course, once I learned apt-get I really didn't see why I needed a
ncurses interface (I didn't realize until later that I could use aptitude like
apt-get).
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: