Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] Beware Copyright Law (was Transform Ubuntu to OS-X)

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 04:36:09PM -0400, Simón Ruiz wrote:
> I hear this "We have a crappy implementation of it, but copyright is
> good in principle" idea often, but I'm not sure I know which principle
> is being talked about.
>
> What is this principle? Can we name it?

Dude. So I looked at another link from my earlier Google search, and I think
you'll like it.

I found it through
http://www.educause.edu/Resources/ReEstablishingtheFoundingPrinc/151472
and I wasn't sure what to make of it from the abstract:
|This paper illustrates the benefits of copyright's legitimate use
|in promoting a democratic society and then delineates the dramatic
|expansion of the copyright monopoly and its resultant commodization. The
|third part addresses the confrontation between copyright and emerging
|technologies-detailing aggressive efforts to extend copyright protection
|into the digital arena. the final part concludes that the globalizing
|effect of the Internet, supported by a true, democratic copyright,
|should serve to stem the copyright assault.

The link to the paper is actually http://cryptome.org/bauchner.htm

It talks about how the principles of copyright were right and good, but
they've become corrupted by corporate greed.

--
Steven Black <blacks@indiana.edu> / KeyID: 8596FA8E
Fingerprint: 108C 089C EFA4 832C BF07 78C2 DE71 5433 8596 FA8E

_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: