Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] .ppc (was Laconica, Enlightenment, and LFS)

Yeah I had a clamshell iBook G3 that ran UbuntuPPC for a while. It was surprisingly responsive given the overall crappiness of the machine. As I recall my biggest headache was dealing with the mouse. Being an apple user, I am used to Control Click and Option Click. I had a had time getting that set up. Also, IIRC OpenOffice was pretty much a bust on the thing. somewhere around 30 minutes to open up.

Ah fun times ...

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@beartooth.info> wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Kirk Gleason wrote:

I tried to install YDL on an XServe G4 a while back, and the installer would kernel panic. I did try Ubuntu as well (back when their PPC stuff was pretty up to snuff), and I had problems with the media.

I will be trying again, because all of my XServes are PPC based (for now) and OS X support for that architecture will officially be dead when 10.6 comes out.

I think I can still get some use out of the things, but man are they old. One of those might actually make a great linux based DMS ...

       Fwiw, my wife had a G3 iBook from summer 2002 until a year or two ago, though she pretty well quit using it once I got her a decent monitor as well as a PC. During the time she had it (and I served as the nearest thing we have to tech support, as I still do), we tried OSX, YDL, and Fedora.ppc.

       We happen to detest the vaunted Apple interface. (Yes, there are such people; we know several.) So we went from OSX to YDL very soon, and from YDL to Fedora as soon as it offered a .ppc version -- FC 4, iirc.

       Once I got the machine to running Fedora, the only problem I ever had specifically with it was getting the blasted thing to boot from media -- every time I wanted to install a new release, or iow at least twice a year.

       NB : YDL is essentially RedHat/Fedora under the hood, with an interface as much like Apple's as feasible; and I run Fedora in strong preference to anything else on all my own machines. So there's a built-in bias there: I knew what I was doing a lot less badly under Fedora.ppc than YDL, let alone OSX. Otoh, there are very large numbers of Alpha Plus Technoids running Fedora ...


--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --
supposing you care -- but you can tell who has a mind.
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug



--
Kirk Gleason

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

give a try with CRUX PPC ;)