Friday, June 5, 2009

Re: [BLUG] .ppc (was Laconica, Enlightenment, and LFS)

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Kirk Gleason wrote:

> I tried to install YDL on an XServe G4 a while back, and the
> installer would kernel panic. I did try Ubuntu as well (back
> when their PPC stuff was pretty up to snuff), and I had
> problems with the media.
>
> I will be trying again, because all of my XServes are PPC based
> (for now) and OS X support for that architecture will
> officially be dead when 10.6 comes out.
>
> I think I can still get some use out of the things, but man are
> they old. One of those might actually make a great linux based
> DMS ...

Fwiw, my wife had a G3 iBook from summer 2002 until a
year or two ago, though she pretty well quit using it once I got
her a decent monitor as well as a PC. During the time she had it
(and I served as the nearest thing we have to tech support, as I
still do), we tried OSX, YDL, and Fedora.ppc.

We happen to detest the vaunted Apple interface. (Yes,
there are such people; we know several.) So we went from OSX to
YDL very soon, and from YDL to Fedora as soon as it offered a
.ppc version -- FC 4, iirc.

Once I got the machine to running Fedora, the only
problem I ever had specifically with it was getting the blasted
thing to boot from media -- every time I wanted to install a new
release, or iow at least twice a year.

NB : YDL is essentially RedHat/Fedora under the hood,
with an interface as much like Apple's as feasible; and I run
Fedora in strong preference to anything else on all my own
machines. So there's a built-in bias there: I knew what I was
doing a lot less badly under Fedora.ppc than YDL, let alone OSX.
Otoh, there are very large numbers of Alpha Plus Technoids
running Fedora ...

--
Beartooth Implacable, Curmudgeonly Codger Learning Linux
On the Internet, you can never tell who is a dog --
supposing you care -- but you can tell who has a mind.
_______________________________________________
BLUG mailing list
BLUG@linuxfan.com
http://mailman.cs.indiana.edu/mailman/listinfo/blug

No comments: